• Identification and characterization of cancer related genes and micro-RNAs in hepatocellular, esophageal, gastric and nasopharyngeal carcinomas;
• Identification and characterization of cancer stem cells in hepatocellular and esophageal and carcinomas;
• Molecular characterization of tumor microenvironment, especially cancer fibroblasts secreted proteins.
• Chen L, Chan TH, Yuan YF, Hu L, Huang J, Ma S, Wang J, Dong SS, Tang KH, Xie D, Li Y, Guan XY*. CHD1L promotes hepatocellular carcinoma progression and metastasis in mice and is associated with these processes in human patients. Journal of Clinical Investigation 2010; 120:1178-91.
• Ma S*, Tang KH, Chan YP, Lee TK, Kwan PS, Castilho A, Ng I, Man K, Wong N, To KF, Zheng BJ, Lai PB, Lo CM, Chan KW*, Guan XY*. miR-130b promotes CD133(+) liver tumor-initiating cell growth and self-renewal via tumor protein 53-induced nuclear protein 1. Cell Stem Cell 2010; 7:694-707.
• Chan TH, Chen L, Liu M, Hu L, Zheng BJ, Poon VK, Huang P, Yuan YF, Huang JD, Yang J, Tsao GS, Guan XY*. Translationally controlled tumor protein induces mitotic defects and chromosome missegregation in hepatocellular carcinoma development. Hepatology 2012; 55:491-505.
• Ma S, Bao YJ, Kwan PS, Chan YP, Tong CM, Fu L, Zhang N, Tong AH, Qin YR, Tsao SW, Chan KW, Lok S, Guan XY*. Identification of PTK6, via RNA sequencing analysis, as a suppressor of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2012; 143:675-86.
• Li Y, Chen L, Chan TH, Liu M, Kong KL, Qiu JL, Yuan YF, Guan XY*. SPOCK1 is regulated by CHD1L and blocks apoptosis and promotes HCC cell invasiveness and metastasis in mice. Gastroenterology 2013; 144:179-191.
• Chen L, Li Y, Lin CH, Chan TH, Chow RK, Song Y, Liu M, Yuan YF, Fu L, Kong KL, Qi L, Li Y, Zhang N, Tong AH, Kwong DL, Man K, Lo CM, Lok S, Tenen DG*, Guan XY*. Recoding RNA editing of AZIN1 predisposes to hepatocellular carcinoma. Nature Medicine 2013; 19:209-16.
• Liu M, Li Y, Chen L, Chan TH, Song Y, Fu L, Zeng TT, Dai YD, Zhu YH, Li Y, Chen J, Yuan YF, Guan XY*. Allele-specific imbalance of oxidative stress-induced growth inhibitor 1 associates with progression of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:1084-96.
• Li Y, Fu L, Qin Y, Zeng T, Zhou J, Zeng ZL, Chen J, Cao TT, Ban X, Qian C, Cai Z, Xie D, Huang P, Guan XY*. Increased expression of EIF5A2, via hypoxia or gene amplification, contributes to metastasis and angiogenesis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:1701-13.
• Song Y, Pan G, Chen L, Ma S, Zeng T, Chan TH, Li L, Lian Q, Chow R, Cai X, Li Y, Li Y, Liu M, Li Y, Zhu Y, Wong N, Yuan YF, Pei D, Guan XY*. Down-regulation of tumor suppressor ATOH8 increases cancer stemness in hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2015; 149:1068-81.
• Liu M, Chen L, Ma NF, Chow RK, Li Y, Song Y, Chan TH, Fang X, Yang X, Xi S, Jiang L, Li Y, Zeng TT, Li Y, Yuan YF, Guan XY*. CHD1L promotes lineage reversion of hepatocellular carcinoma through opening chromatin for key developmental transcription factors. Hepatology 2016; 63:1544-59.
• Ming XY, Fu L, Zhang LY, Qin YR, Cao TT, Chan KW, Ma S, Xie D, Guan XY*. Integrin α7 is a functional cancer stem cell surface marker in oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Nat Commun 2016; 7:13568.
• Fu L*, Qin YR, Ming XY, Zuo XB, Diao YW, Zhang LY, Ai J, Liu BL, Huang TX, Cao TT, Tan BB, Xiang D, Zeng CM, Gong J, Zhang Q, Dong SS, Chen J, Liu H, Wu JL, Qi RZ, Xie D, Wang LD, Guan XY*. RNA editing of SLC22A3 drives early tumor invasion and metastasis in familial esophageal cancer. Pro Nat Aca Sci USA 2017; 114:E4631-40.