Dr. Ka-On Lam is currently a Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Clinical Oncology, The University of Hong Kong (HKU). He graduated with distinction in M.B.B.S. from HKU in 2005. He was awarded the Frank Doyle Medal at the First Examination of the Fellowship of the Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR, UK) in 2008 and the Rohan Williams Medal at the Final Examination in 2010. He then joined HKU as clinical assistant professor and obtained his specialist qualification in Clinical Oncology in 2013. He was selected as the Distinguished Young Fellow of Hong Kong Academy of Medicine in 2014.
His research interests are novel treatment strategy and circulating tumor cells in gastrointestinal cancers and nasopharyngeal cancer. He was awarded the HKU Overseas Fellowship in 2013 which funded his elective on drug development at The Royal Marsden. Since then he participated as Principal Investigator (PI) or site PI in 19 clinical trials in gastrointestinal oncology, including 5 phase I/II trials. As of 2019, he has received more than HK$50 million of external peer-reviewed research funding in Hong Kong and Mainland China with over HK$29 million as Principal/ Co-Principal Investigator in gastrointestinal cancers and nasopharyngeal cancer translational research. He is supervisor of 6 current MPhil/ PhD students.
He has published over 60 articles in international journals including Lancet Oncology, Cell Stem Cell, PNAS, IJROBP and IJC, and presented over 50 conference abstracts at DDW, ESMO, ESMO World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer and other major conferences. He has been serving the Editorial Board of the Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology (Hong Kong Supplement) since 2018 and has been reviewers for international peer-reviewed journals including British Journal of Surgery and British Journal of Radiology. He is a founding member of the HK SBRT Study Group. He has given over 50 invited lectures on gastrointestinal cancer in Hong Kong and in other Asia-Pacific countries.
He is now the Honorary Treasurer of the Hong Kong College of Radiologists, member of the Gastrointestinal Cancer Clinical Coordinating Committee (Clinical Oncology) Site-Specific Expert Advisory Group of Hospital Authority, member of the Cancer Expert Working Group on Cancer Prevention and Screening, HKSAR. He also serves as the Council Member of the Hong Kong Cancer Therapy Society and the Hand-in-Hand Cancer Foundation.
- Colorectal, gastric, esophageal and nasopharyngeal cancer
- Novel treatment strategy and clinical trials
- Liquid biopsy in solid tumor
- Research Grant Council Theme-Based Research Scheme (RGC TRS): Translational Studies for Elucidating the Tumor Heterogeneity and Molecular Evolution in Metastatic Gastrointestinal Tract Cancers for Personalized Medicine (Co-PI: $2651,7000)
- Research Grant Council General Research Fund (RGC GRF): Redefining resectability for colorectal liver metastasis: the role of circulating tumor cells and its molecular characteristics (PI: $820,060)
- Hong Kong Cancer Fund: A Phase II Single-Arm two-stage study of CFI-400945 in advanced gastric or gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma that progressed after prior therapy with platinum and fluoropyrimidine (PI: $805,000)
- Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF): Optimizing the selection of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer for liver resection – An immuno-clinical scoring system incorporating circulating tumor cell enumeration and clinical factors. (PI: $946,064)
- Choi HCW, Lam KO (corresponding), Pang H, Tsang SKC, Ngan RKC, Lee AWM. Global comparison of cancer outcomes: standardization and correlation with healthcare expenditures. BMC Public Health 2019;19:1065. doi: 10.1186/s12889-019-7384-y.
- Chan WL, Lam KO (corresponding), So TH, Lee VH, Kwong LD. Third-line systemic treatment in advanced/metastatic gastric cancer: a comprehensive review. Ther Adv Med Oncol. 2019;11:1758835919859990. doi: 10.1177/1758835919859990
- Lam KO, Tong CC, Lee VHF, Luk MY, Lam CW. DPYD genotype-guided dose individualisation of fluoropyrimidine therapy: who and how? Lancet Oncol. 2019;20(2):e66. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30867-2
- Yan HHN, Siu HC, Law S, Ho SL, Yue SSK, Tsui WY, Chan D, Chan AS, Ma S, Lam KO, Bartfeld S, Man AHY, Lee BCH, Chan ASY, Wong JWH, Cheng PSW, Chan AKW, Zhang J, Shi J, Fan X, Kwong DLW, Mak TW, Yuen ST, Clevers H, Leung SY. A Comprehensive Human Gastric Cancer Organoid Biobank Captures Tumor Subtype Heterogeneity and Enables Therapeutic Screening. Cell Stem Cell. 2018;6;23(6):882-897.e11. doi: 10.1016/j.stem.2018.09.016.
- Chiu KWH, Lam KO (corresponding), An H, Cheung GTC, Lau JKS, Choy TS, Lee VHF. Long-term outcomes and recurrence pattern of 18F-FDG PET-CT complete metabolic response in the first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: a lesion-based and patient-based analysis. BMC Cancer. 2018;18(1):776. doi: 10.1186/s12885-018-4687-9.
- Lam KO, Lee KC, Chiu J, Lee VH, Leung R, Choy TS, Yau T. The real-world use of regorafenib for metastatic colorectal cancer: multicentre analysis of treatment pattern and outcomes in Hong Kong. Postgrad Med J. 2016;3(1101):395-400. doi: 10.1136/postgradmedj-2016-134547.
- Zheng H, Dai W, Cheung AK, Ko JM, Kan R, Wong BW, Leong MM, Deng M, Kwok TC, Chan JY, Kwong DL, Lee AW, Ng WT, Ngan RK, Yau CC, Tung S, Lee VH, Lam KO, Kwan CK, Li WS, Yau S, Chan KW, Lung ML. Whole-exome sequencing identifies multiple loss-of-function mutations of NF-kB pathway regulators in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113(40):11283-11288.
- Lam KO, Lee AW, Choi CW, Sze HC, Zietman AL, Hopkins KI, Rosenblatt E. Global pattern of nasopharyngeal cancer: correlation of outcome with access to radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;94:1106-1112..
- Cheng AL, Li J, Vaid AK, Ma BB, The C, Ahn JB, Bello M, Charoentum C, Chen LT, de Lima Lopes G Jr, Ho GF, Kong HL, Lam KO, Liu TS, Park YS, Sriuranpong V, Sudoyo AW, Wang JY, Zhang J, Zhang SZ, Ciardiello F, Kohne CH, Shaw M, Kim TW. Adaptation of international guidelines for metastatic colorectal cancer: an Asian consensus. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2014;13:145-155.
- Lam KO, Lee VHF, Liu RKY, Leung TW, Kwong DLW. Bevacizumab-containing regimens after cetuximab failure in KRAS wild-type metastatic colorectal carcinoma. Oncol Lett. 2013;5:637-640. doi:10.3892/ol.2012.1045.